Saturday, April 16, 2011

Music

Music has always been a big part of my life since I can remember. This due to my dad's fascination with music and his constant begging for me to hear the whole song out before claiming that it is absolutely worthless. I must say that there isn't one song that I can call my absolute favorite, as the music I listen to depends mainly on my mood. Lately I try to listen to such music which at least boosts my mood with all the school  responsibilities on my mind. When I read that the assignment was to pick one song I automatically knew that it will be IMPOSSIBLE. There are just too many songs to pick from, that if I were to listen to them on the same day it would take at least a couple of hours. I was fortunate enough to be taken to a couple of concerts by my dad and these are the songs that bring back a lot of good memories about our trips to Jones Beach or Madison Square Gardens in New York.
I remember the Bruce Springsteen concert right after my elementary school graduation and the song "Hungry Heart" when the whole crowd of people got up from their seats to sing along with the band- I remember being kind of shy and not really singing but whenever I hear this song I remember the chillls running up and down my spine :) and the fact that I was glad that school was finally over.

Then I remember the attacks on 9/11 and the charity concert at Madison Square Gardens and how my neighbours from our street organized a block party at the last minute to watch and listen to the concert together. I was too young to understand what really happened but the fact that 4 graduates from my school died actually brought tears into my eyes- I remember that all of us were never the same again- unfortunately suspicion knocked on our doors. I remember The Who's performance the best although I am not really into their songs.


Then there was a song that I understood for the first time in English while being driven to school. I was so satisfied that I actually opened up to my classmates and started to like speaking in English, while took a load off of my parents' shoulder.

Then I really liked the song sung by Florence and the Machine during my visit in England last September. I remember walking into every store and it was there playing making shoppping with my mom much more pleasurable :)
Then there are the Eagles, Neil Young, Pink Floyd and many more... and of course I also listen to the music of my generation and maybe these new songs will bring back more memories in some years time...

No comments:

Post a Comment